Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Plan of Happiness



This week was a really good one and a really busy one. We taught more than we ever have before and I feel like together we`re stronger than ever working together in teaching, planning, finding, etc. Some people are progressing quite a bit, others not so much but overall I can't complain.

In most of the mornings this week we traveled to another sector to invite people to an "open chapel" or "open doors" activity in which people not so familiar with the church could come to see what the church is all about. It´s a great idea but for some reason after all the preparation, something broke in the church and it just wasn't possible. One good that did come out of it is we were able to meet one of the first members of the church here in Chile, one of the pioneers here. It was amazing to see the sacrifices of them who joined early on and did so much to serve and bring the gospel to so many people. She said the first time she heard about the plan of salvation she could feel it was so true, she thought of is as the plan of happiness.

Overall the investigators are doing well and we`re really excited about the progress of some people, but I'm worried I may leave this week. I`m really hoping I get to stay until December 4th!

A thought I had this week...

In this part of the Book of Mormon, Nephi is having a tough time helping in trying to help a group of people and is feeling a little down on himself. He starts thinking about how much easier it would be if he were living in the time of the first Nephi in the Book. Helaman chapter 7 verse 9 really called my attention. It says "I am consigned that these are my days". I didn't really understand the word consign so I looked it up and it means 1. To entrusted 2. to assign.  God has entrusted us with the situation we are in, we might think sometimes that the grass is greener somewhere else and it might be true but he trusts us to complete with His purposes. When he trusts us that also means he will give us the help in what we lack. The second definition is assign. He also assigns things to us for our good. Sometimes we just need to learn something. I think if we look at our circumstances like that we will be blessed and we with find more purpose and happiness in our circumstances.

Helaman 7:7-9
7. Oh, that I could have had my days in the days when my father Nephi first came out of the land of Jerusalem, that I could have joyed with him in the promised land; then were his people easy to be entreated, firm to keep the commandments of God, and slow to be led to do iniquity;and they were quick to hearken unto the words of the Lord—
8. Yea, if my days could have been in those days, then would my soul have had joy in the righteousness of my brethren.
9. But behold I am consigned that these are my days, and that my soul shall be filled with sorrow because of this wickedness of my brethren.


Have a great week!!


Elder Birrell

No comments:

Post a Comment