Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Dec 13, 2016- Elder Dussan

Elder Dussan and Elder Birrell
Well, this week was a special one- one that I’ll never forget thanks to my new companion Elder Dussan. I’ve literally never met anyone my age who is so humble, Christlike, and disciplined he literally blows me away every day. Honestly, sometimes it’s hard just being in his presence, I guess I just don’t feel worthy to be his companion. He’s from Neiva, Columbia and is a convert of 1 year and 9 months. He comes from humbler circumstances- he mentioned that at home he didn’t even have a bed to sleep on. For him that’s not a reason to complain nor to dislike people who have better circumstances- he’s just so grateful for each day of life God’s given him and the eternal perspective on life that the gospel and his Savior Jesus Christ brings him. He loves everyone unconditionally and sees the absolute best in everyone.

I thought I was sharing the gospel with everyone I possibly could. The Elder Dussan showed up. Sometimes I look behind me only to see Elder Dussan, 20 meters behind me, Book of Mormon in hand, sharing with a neighbor or someone I didn’t even think to share with. One time we just went to get lunch from a Hermana (a lady in the ward) to take back to the house and we ended up helping her with a few things in the house and I was ready to go back to the house because we didn’t have much time to eat before we needed to go back to work, but Elder Dussan offered to leave with a prayer and by the end of the prayer the Hermana was sobbing, she was so touched by the prayer. We then had 10 minutes to eat, clean the dishes and leave and so we ended up leaving 2-3 minutes behind schedule. In the prayer before leaving, Elder Dussan repeatedly asked for forgiveness for leaving late and pleaded that he would still be able to have the spirit with him.

Elder Dussan isn’t just obedient, he constantly strives to have the companionship of the Holy Ghost, and he relies completely on having the spirit. I think sometime we can get into a rut where we are obedient to the written commandments but we forget the spirit of the law and thus the spirit isn’t as strong in us.

Sometimes being with the Elder Dussans of the world isn’t the easiest thing in the world. Many times during the week I felt pretty down on myself and discouraged, but mainly I’m filled with hope, knowing that I have the special opportunity to become more like Christ with the help of my companion. I see him as an angel sent from God to help me right now, so as difficult as it may be, I’ll try to make the changes I need to make in my life to be more like Christ.

Have a great week!

Love,
Elder Birrell


Baby Joseph!!
Cristian and baby Joseph
Elder Ortiz, Cristian, Elder Birrell
Haitian friends-Fritz is the member (middle) and Evans (short one) and Alexis
Elder Ortiz, President Videla, Elder Birrell

The San Pablo Zone
Best district in the mission

No comments:

Post a Comment