Wednesday, March 29, 2017

March 28, 2017- Meetings, meetings and more meetings

Pizza Night
This week was a little crazy with meetings and other things we had to do, so we barely even had time to work in our area. This weekend alone we saw President Videla 4 times in 3 different cities. (Zone conference in Colina on Friday, District conference in Colina on Saturday, the other half of District conference on Sunday in Lampa and a special meeting for all the ward mission leaders in the mission in Santiago on Sunday night) Even though we did miss a lot of time working in our sector, the meetings were all spiritually edifying and I learned quite a bit.

Zone conference was special because:
  • It was just our zone
  • The assistants didn’t go so we had to do the part of the zone leaders and assistants.

Among the responsibilities were: setting up everything, directing, giving a report, teaching a class, doing a demonstration directing a council, and taking everything down. (A lot of our part was filmed and sent to the next mission president that will be here in July) My whole mission I’ve been a part of giant zone conferences with multiple huge zones, so it was really nice the way it was done this time.

One thing we talked about is a program called Open Chapel. It started in Mexico, then spread to Argentina and now it’s coming here. We watched a video to introduce the idea to us and while we watched, a sister missionary blurted out, “that’s me!!”. We realized afterwards that there was a photo of her because it was through an open chapel activity that she was introduced to the gospel and baptized. She is currently serving here in this branch (Lampa). It’s cool seeing the fruits of these efforts right in front of our eyes.

One of the themes of this weekend was obedience, especially the “why”. Why should we be obedient to God’s commandments? The answer lies somewhere in the gospel of John chapters 14 and 15.
“If ye love me, keep my commandments”
“He that hath my commandments and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me”
“If a man loves me, he will keep my words”
“But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us hence”
“If we keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love, even as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love”
This is my commandment, that ye love one another, as I have loved you”

Why do we obey God’s commandments? Because we love God. True obedience should never come from fear nor any purpose other than love of God. The essence of the commandments is love.

“Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind…Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself”
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets”

As we closely examine all the commandments we will find they all boil down to a testing of a love for God and our neighbor. The essence of the commandments is love, and this love I have felt abundantly as I have strived to be obedient here in the mission. I invite everyone (myself included) to examine their motives and personal obedience and to set goals and make plans in order to feel more of this perfect love of Christ.

All’s good here in Lampa. Highlights of the week was probably the selfie my comp and I took on President Videla’s cellphone. I’ll try to get that picture. I included some pictures here so you can visualize the sector a little bit.

Love,

Elder Birrell
Wide open spaces in Lampa

Finally on a bike!

Hitchhiking to Family Home Evening
FHE with la familia

No comments:

Post a Comment